If you are experiencing any sort of dispute with an insurance company, it is possible to file a complaint with the Department of Insurance in your state. Pursuing this avenue may help you receive a resolution faster. This process is an acceptable legal solution when dealing with a claims adjuster, insurance agent or insurance company.
Each state has its own website through which consumers will find advice and complaint handling services. If you feel there is an issue with claims handling, policy misrepresentation, coverage or you are locked in a dispute, contacting the Department of Insurance is recommended.
Insurance Complaint Process
It is important to follow the process of filing an insurance complaint with your Department of Insurance. In the first instance, consumers are advised to contact the insurance provider. If you dispute the decision that has been made in relation to your claim, outline the problem and your arguments against the decision in a letter to the manager. You should also make it clear that your next course of action is filing a complaint with the Department of Insurance.
Recommended actions when filing a complaint:
- Ensure that you are accessing the insurance department website for your state. Using search terms such as “Georgia department of insurance complaint form” should produce relevant results.
- Make sure to include all relevant information, including your name, contact number, email address, name of the insurance company and your policy/claim number.
- Provide a brief description of your issue and arguments against the insurance company’s position.
- Ideally, you should have recorded evidence of dates when you provided information, called the insurer, email exchanges and other communications related to your claim.
- If you can upload documents, attach any related evidence with your complaint.
- Stipulate the actions you expect from the insurance provider.
The Department of Insurance will open a case and contact your insurance provider for further information. If an investigation is launched, the DOI will seek to determine whether the decision is fair, compliant with your policy and in line with applicable laws in the state in which you reside.
You can also contact Wreck Check Atlanta for further support with insurance complaints.